Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Survivor: South Pacific - Episode Nine: Excluded, Eroded, Evicted

Concern and helplessness shows on
remaining Savaii members' face. 
I can't say I have all that much to say about the latest Survivor episode... But for what it's worth, here's what I've got!

1. It's a bit heartbreaking to see the former Savaii tribe be picked off one-by-one.

I mentioned this in my 15 second Tout, and I'll say it again here. Cochran sealed their fate, and it's just a matter of time before Savaii is simply no more. The only chance of there being a Savaii member in the final is Redemption Island and he or she will need a lot of endurance, some good fortune, and a fighting will. Ozzy seems confident that he can do it, and despite his still very lacking social game (almost more lacking than in previous seasons I would say...), I root for him.

The hardest part about this really is seeing how well they have all been playing the game. Jim may be loud, but he's definitely got bone to back his bark; Dawn is a socially threatening player, and if not for Brandon's unpredictable outbursts of at-times-love at-times-aggression, she might have pulled it off; Whitney and Keith proved they could have been a couple to be reckoned with; and Ozzy is still the epitome of the perfect physical Survivor. All deserve to be in the game, and I would much rather see them go further over Edna or Brandon. But such is the game of Survivor, and you need these less preferred players to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the last standing tribe turning on its own.

2. Should Jim have given Ozzy his Immunity Necklace at the first Tribal Council? 

I would talk about this in more detail, but the fact of the matter is, it wouldn't have changed anything. What he shouldn't have done is promise it to Ozzy then bail at Tribal Council. But it's not like that will bear any obvious consequences given the dire outlook for the Savaii tribe. Ultimately, Jim made his plea, realized it was going to lead nowhere, and chose to give himself an extra three days and a fighting chance. I don't blame him.

3. I really dislike when contestants opt out of a challenge for food. 

I understand that they are hungry, and I understand that they may not need to participate if it's simply of choice of who to eliminate among the remaining Savaii tribe members. But even so, participating in the challenge is a matter of honoring the physical aspect of the game and showing courage in attempting to claim more control over Tribal Council decisions.

On the other hand, not participating in the challenge also has social repercussions in some shape or form, which is what makes the game of Survivor so interesting...

4. Three contestants on Redemption Island... Three strong contestants on Redemption Island. 

I've made it clear that I am rooting for Ozzy to get back into the game and beat the odds to secure a spot in the Final. That said, it's not going to be easy... Which will make it all the more earned. Jim and Keith are going to be far more challenging opponents than a tired Christine, and all three certainly are worthy. I wish I didn't have to say goodbye to two at once...


Who are you gunning for on Redemption Island? Does Savaii stand a chance to make it to the end? Is Cochran going to be everyone's new best friend because of his being the perfect Final Three partner? What has Albert got up his sleeve... Will it mess his game up completely or uproot Coach from his leadership position? Share your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment