Thursday, March 14, 2013

Survivor: Caramoan - Episode Five

Do we even want to know what's
going through his head?
Well, we finally saw it: Brandon Hantz's meltdown. What did you think? Was it what you expected? Better? Worse?

I should start by saying I'm relieved it wasn't worse. Yes, losing the beans and the rice in a game where you already have very little food has got to be very scary and difficult. And sure, witnessing someone's mental instability and eventual breakdown when you're isolated on an island with him must be very trying on the nerves and morale. But given some of the shots we saw in the preview last week, and considering the comparison made with Skupin's fire incident, I was actually worried that someone was going to get seriously injured. So I'm relieved that wasn't the case.

As for the meltdown itself -- I was caught between laughing in incredulity and feeling some of the dread these guys were clearly showing. For the most part, I was really impressed with how everyone handled it -- Jeff included. Most of them obviously knew -- and more importantly were able -- to brush their discomfort under the rug for as long as possible in order to calm Brandon down in his outbursts. Corinne's announcement on behalf of the tribe was very put together and controlled, while still saying it like it was, and I appreciated that, though it might bite her in her in the butt if she did that without the whole tribe's actual consent... Phillip on the other hand was absolutely egotistic and borderline idiotic in his reactions. He is the epitome of a tautologist who finds many ways to say nothing at all -- or at least nothing helpful. There is no doubt he contributed to Brandon's downward spiral, and I'm actually quite tired of watching him at this point, pink undies and all. More on that in the video.

Speaking of which, this video is slightly longer than my usual length -- but there was clearly lots to say. In it, I talk a little bit about the Russell vs. Brandon comparisons we've been hearing, the integrity of the game (and Jeff) in handling the situation and how this might affect the Faves moving forward, among other things. I also touch on Reynold finding the Idol -- again -- and whether or not there should be another Idol in play in general, and finally, the tribe mixup next week!

Looking forward to your comments -- below or straight on the YouTube page.


PS. Just saw this tweet by Russell.... Seeing how proud he is, I wonder whether I should even bother defending him! (But #enHantzed is pretty cool, I hate to say it...) (Ok, after some research, found out enHANTZed is actually a thing... View at your own risk.)



No comments:

Post a Comment